The days of getting your news only from the daily newspaper or the 6:00 news are long gone. Our society moves rapidly in this new media world—with news now “breaking” on everything from blogs to podcasts to Twitter posts. Even in this environment, some tried and true tips can help a company or business communicate their message effectively and impactfully. Here’s what you should keep in mind:
- Preparation is key—You don’t want to be caught off-guard when trying to deliver your message. You should have a plan in place before you want to share news or are asked questions by the media.
- Coordinate and communicate—Work with your communications team to coordinate and delegate important assignments.
- Make thoughtful decisions—Each situation or request should be evaluated on its own and pros/cons of how and when to communicate should be discussed. Remember you have a big role in spreading your message with the words you choose.
- Practice, practice, practice—If you are communicating your message visually (TV interview, internal video to employees, etc.), it never hurts to practice a couple of times. Comfort with the material will make the visual much easier to watch.
- Show concern and compassion—Not every message you are communicating will be positive. Be cognizant of the tone of the message and make sure it matches the particular situation.
The Strategic Communications team at Michael Best Strategies have helped numerous clients communicate their messages, especially in crisis situations. If you need help navigating these waters or want to put together a plan ahead of time, call or email us and we’ll be happy to help!