It may have happened to you—your office phone is ringing and on the other line is a reporter who wants to discuss an issue involving your company. Instead of ignoring the call, be courteous and polite with the reporter, and before you hang up make sure to ask these questions!
- What specific issue/angle is your story looking into?
- What types of questions are you looking for answers to?
- Are there others you are speaking to for your story?
- Are you looking for an on-camera interview?
- What is the deadline for this story?
By asking these questions of the reporter, you should have a good idea of what they are looking for and can plan your response. Are you looking for some help in brushing up on your media relations skills? The Michael Best Strategies Communications Team is full of experts and professionals who can help you out. Contact us and we can help you with your needs!