Robert is a recognized national security authority who brings significant expertise in foreign policy and defense to his role on Michael Best Strategies’ Board of Advisors. He is a retired Vice Admiral of the United States Navy, the former chair of the Counter Weapons of Mass Destruction Task Force, and Chief Executive for Lockheed Martin Middle East. In 2017, then-President Donald Trump tapped Robert to serve as his National Security Advisor.
With his deep insight into international security affairs, intelligence, operations, and strategy, combined with his business executive experience, Robert leverages his perspective, and connections, to help clients take their businesses to the next level.
Robert’s Expertise: International Affairs, Foreign Policy, and National Defense
As Chief Executive for Lockheed Martin Middle East, Robert is responsible for all aspects of the company’s strategy, operations, and profitable growth in UAE, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Jordan, Lebanon, Qatar, Pakistan, Iraq, and Afghanistan. In 2019 he was recognized by Forbes magazine as one of the “50 Most Influential CEOs in the Middle East.”
Robert previously served on the U.S. National Security Council for the George W. Bush administration and commissioned the National Counter Terrorism Center. While serving on the Secretary of Defense Threat Reduction Advisory Committee (TRAC), Robert chaired its Counter Weapons of Mass Destruction Task Force.
During his prestigious 35-plus-year military career, Robert rose to the rank of Vice Admiral (SEAL) in the United States Navy. His extensive combat experience as a U.S. Navy SEAL saw him serve tours of duty in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Somalia, Yemen, Bosnia, and throughout the Middle East.
- United States Naval War College, Master of Arts, International Strategic Studies
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Foreign Policy Program
- United States Naval Academy, Bachelor of Science, 1979
- College of Naval Command and Staff at the Naval War College
- Armed Forces Staff College
Over the course of his distinguished career, Bob has received numerous civilian, military, and government accolades, including the following:
- Donovan Award – Central Intelligence Agency (CIA)
- Distinguished Service Award – U.S. Department of State
- German Silver Star
- Polish Silver Star
- Commander of the Polish GROM (Special Operation Forces) designation
- Defense Distinguished Service Medal (3-time recipient)
- Navy Distinguished Service Medal
- Bronze Stars with V device (4-time recipient)
- Presidential Unit Citations (2-time recipient)
- S. Naval War College Distinguished Graduate Leadership Award
- “50 Most Influential CEOs in the Middle East” (ranked #10), Forbes Middle East magazine, 2019
- Farsi (conversational)
Robert’s affiliations during his professional career:
- Former Member, Secretary of Defense Threat Reduction Advisory Committee (TRAC)
- Chairman of the Counter Weapons of Mass Destruction Task Force
- Former Executive Fellow, RAND National Security Research Division
- Board Member, Channel
- Board Member, USAA
- Board Member, REALCO
- Board Member, Shield AI
- Former Advisor, Draper Labs