Michael Best Strategies (Strategies) helps companies accelerate their success through a combination of strategic business consulting, lobbying, government relations, public affairs, and communications. The firm has thrived by providing a diverse team of professionals with the experience, skills, and relationships necessary to help each client achieve their goals more quickly and fully.
Strategies invites undergraduate students currently attending Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) to apply for the 2nd annual Public Policy Internship Program. The program will offer an educational and supportive experience for students to gain exposure and insight into public policy and government affairs. Interns will work directly with Michael Best Strategies Leadership and can expect mentorship, professional development, and exposure to the public policy process. Interns will also collaborate with clients to achieve common goals between companies and the state or federal government.
Opportunities and Activities:
- Review introduced legislation to identify relevant bills and amendments
- Work with Strategies team to support their legislative and public policy advocacy, including public policy research, bill tracking, attending or monitoring hearings, analyzing legislation, and taking and distributing notes at high level meetings
- Develop policy writing skills through writing memoranda, position papers, fact sheets and policy research papers
- An assigned Strategies mentor will provide education, guidance, and advice in determining how legislation affects clients
- Increased access to and understanding of the federal and state legislative processes
- Interact with members of Congress and their staff
- Conduct background research to support client engagement and sales pitches
- The internship program will be 10 weeks starting in late May and running into July
- Compensation will be $1,000 per week
- Internship credit may be obtained pending school’s polices
- Interns will be located in our Washington D.C. office
- Participants will be responsible for their own housing, transportation, and any relocation expense
- Full-time enrollment in a HBCU institution with an expected graduation year of 2023 or 2024
- Solid team player
- Brings a high degree of personal energy to the work and takes initiative
- Outstanding leadership skills
- Professional manner, responsiveness, flexibility, and adaptability
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Detail-oriented, with excellent follow-through
- A U.S. Citizen or otherwise authorized to work in the United States
How To Apply:
To be considered for this position, please submit an application, including your resume and unofficial or official transcript, via our online portal (michaelbest.com/careers). Contact our Senior Recruiter, Erin McDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Michael Best & Friedrich LLP, Michael Best Strategies LLC, and Michael Best Consulting LLC (collectively known as “Michael Best”) are steadfastly committed to providing equal employment opportunity and maintaining a workplace for employees and applicants for employment that is free from discrimination based upon age, race, religion, color, disability, marital status, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, veteran or military status, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, please contact our Recruiting team at 414.225.4999 or email@example.com to let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.